Tuesday 10 January 2012

Henry - It was my first goal as a supporter


Thierry Henry admits that his Arsenal comeback was “surreal” as well as sensational.

As Monday’s FA Cup tie against Leeds headed for a replay, Henry’s appearance as a second-half substitute turned the game on its head. He was on the pitch for just 10 minutes before converting in the 78th minute to seal Arsenal’s route through to the Fourth Round.


The record goalscorer, who has now increased his tally to 227, was delighted to help out the club he loves once more.

“I guess it was always going to be surreal,” Henry told Arsenal Player. “It was one of the best moments because it is the first time that I wore the Arsenal shirt being a fan.

“I became a fan when I left the club so now I know exactly how it feels to score for the club that you support. So, great emotions. As I said earlier on to some of the guys in the dressing room, two weeks ago I was on holiday in Mexico on the beach and here I am scoring the winner against Leeds.

“Obviously I am going to grab some headlines and stuff like that but Nico Yennaris and Ignasi Miquel at the back, along with some of the other guys, played really well. I was at the end of a great move but as I said many times, it is all about the team. We went through and that is the most important thing.

“I always want more so I don’t know if it is going to be a goal, a pass or a tackle. I said so many times, I am not here to be a hero. I am here to be another player, to help the squad and that is it to be honest. I didn’t plan a comeback.

“I didn’t plan to come on, I didn’t plan to score! That, maybe I did! But joking apart, I never thought I was going to be here, talking to you after a game so scoring a winner for the club that I love, I am actually dreaming right now.

“It was the first time that I played for Arsenal being a fan. Before, I would have died out there for the club, but now I am a fan it was mixed emotions. It was almost unreal.”
-source: arsenal.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment